Tall men -- United States
Robert Wadlow 272 cm . Robert Pershing Wadlow (February 22, 1918 – July 15, 1940) was the tallest person in history for whom there is irrefutable evidence. Wadlow is sometimes known as the Alton Giant or Giant of Illinois because of his upbringing in Alton, Illinois.
Wadlow reached 8 ft 11.1 in (2.72 m) in height and weighed 485 lb (220 kg) at his death at age 22. His great size and his continued growth in adulthood was due to hypertrophy of his pituitary gland which results in an abnormally high level of human growth hormone. He showed no indication of an end to his growth even at the time of his death.
Wadlow was an American celebrity; he was well-known due to his 1936 U.S. tour with the Ringling Brothers Circus and his 1938 promotional tour with the INTERCO. He continued participating in tours and public appearances.
An estimated 40,000 people attended Wadlow's funeral on July 19. He was buried in a ten foot long, half-ton coffin that required twelve pallbearers to carry, which was interred within a vault of solid concrete. It was believed that Wadlow's family were concerned for the sanctity of his body after his death, and went to these lengths of security to ensure it would never be disturbed or stolen.
In 1985, a life-size bronze statue of Wadlow by Ned Giberson was erected at the Southern Illinois University Edwardsville School of Dental Medicine. He is featured in film and with a wax replica in the Ripley's Believe It Or Not! museum in Saint Augustine, Florida; Atlantic City, New Jersey; Niagara Falls, Ontario; Ocean City, Maryland; Gold Coast, Myrtle Beach, South Carolina; Queensland; and Guadalajara, Mexico. A life-sized statue was part of the exhibits at the Guinness Hall of World Records in the Empire State Building in New York City.
A life-size statue of Wadlow stands on College Avenue in Alton, Illinois, across from the Alton Museum of History and Art. The statue was erected in 1986 in honor of the hometown schoolboy.
- List of Tall men in the world.
- Robert Wadlow 272 cm tall men.
- John Rogan 267 cm tall men.
- Maximinus Thrax 259 cm tall men.
- Leonid Stadnyk 256 cm tall men
- Édouard Beaupré 251 cm tall men
- Väinö Myllyrinne 251 cm tall men
- Don Koehler 249 cm tall men
- Sultan Kösen 247 cm tall men
- Patrick Cotter O'Brien 246 cm tall men
- Gabriel Estêvão Monjane 246 cm tall men
- Julius Koch Le Geant Constantin 246 cm tall men
- Suleiman Ali Nashnush 245 cm tall men
- Bernard Coyne 244 cm tall men
- John F. Carroll 244 cm tall men
- Gustaf Edman 242 cm tall men
- Zhang Juncai 242 cm tall men
- Suparwono 242 cm tall men
- Alexander Sizonenko 241 cm tall men
- Igor Vovkovinskiy 234 cm tall men
- Jóhann Kristinn Pétursson 234 cm tall men
- Grgo Kusić 238 cm tall men
- Rigardus Rijnhout 237 cm tall men
- Bao Xishun 236 cm tall men
- Angus MacAskill 236 cm tall men
- Sun Ming-Ming 236 cm tall men
- Radhouane Charbib 235 cm tall men
- Brenden Adams 235 cm tall men
- Ri Myung Hun 235 cm tall men
- George Bell 234 cm tall men
- Yasutaka Okayama 234 cm tall men
- Adam Rainer 234 cm tall men
- Neil Fingleton 233 cm tall men
- Hussain Bisad 232 cm tall men
- Alam Channa 232 cm tall men
- Max Palmer 231 cm tall men
- Manute Bol 231 cm tall men
- Gheorghe Mureşan 231 cm tall men
- Kenny George 231 cm tall men
- Jorge Gonzalez 229 cm tall men
- Yao Ming 229 cm the tall men
- Shawn Bradley 229 cm tall men
- Slavko Vraneš 229 cm tall man
- Matthew McGrory 229 cm tall men